Wild Hog Hunting With Dogs



Jan. 31

Posted by hesseltinekennels on February 4, 2014 at 9:30 AM

We had our hunters from Minnesota show up at 8 am on Friday morning. The ground had a lot of dew and the weather was in the 60’s but would be warming up throughout the day. My dad and my wife helped me load up Bo, Red Dog, Dacon, Little Red, Bull along with catchdogs Tough and Rascal. We headed over to the place. I decide to drive around before turning out. We see two good boar hogs cross the sendera heading into the southwest section. We cut the dogs loose, they head east and our moving fast. We hear one bark then silence. After another 5 minutes, I look at my garmin and it shows them caught in the east thicket. We drive to the east fence line. NormaJean bails out of the truck and heads into the east thicket, in a few minutes, she is yelling “cut the catchdogs loose”. I do that and head in right behind the catchdogs with our hunters in tow. We get in there and see that it is a big red and black spotted boar with big cutters. All the dogs are there and the fight is on. I get up to him and grab his hind legs. Our hunter gets up to him and makes a good stab and takes the beast out. We get the hog out and then check all the dogs. None are cut, so we give them some water and take about a 15 minute break. After our break, dad calls me on the phone saying he has just seen another good boar back toward the southwest corner not far from where we started. We drive over and cut the dogs loose. In a matter of minutes, dogs are caught, there goes my wife once again and in a matter of minutes, she goes to yelling, “cut the catchdogs loose”. I do and head in with our hunters and once again we have a really big boar caught but it’s not real thick so the dogs really have him pinned down. My brother Gary is there and has grabbed the hind legs. Our next hunter takes out the hog. Again we check the dogs and Bo has a few small cuts on him but nothing bad. I decide to go back and load up another team. We load up Pinto, Lep, Bonnie, Speck, and Blaze. We keep the same catchdogs. We head back over and it is now 10:30. We turn out into the middle section. After 5 minutes, we have 3 different races going. Pinto has crossed the sendera with a big hog going toward the northwest. Lep is headed back toward the southwest and Speck is heading toward the east thicket. We set there and listen and I watch my garmin. After 30 minutes, dogs are still separated and running their own hog. I have picked up Blaze and Bonnie. We wait another 15 minutes and one by one the dogs start coming in. The weather is now in the 70’s and warming up quickly. I decide to go back and switch out again. I go back and load up Bo, Red Dog, Smoke, Curly, and Brodie. We head back over and I decide to turn loose in the northwest corner. Dogs hit the ground running and after a few minutes, we once again have multiple races going on. Bo going south, Red Dog heading northeast, Curly and Brodie heading east. After 30 minutes, dogs start coming in and it is warm now. Give the dogs a break and tell the hunters that this is our last chance for the day as the dogs are getting wore down. We turn loose into the front north section. Dogs head in, Red Dog crosses and heads back southeast. Bo is making circles in the front section and then lines one out. He crosses the sendera in front of us and Curly is there and the hog almost runs him over. The head into the middle section, Dad had already walked in there and was waiting so he could hear the dogs as the wind is really blowing know. Curly goes to baying and then Bo catches. I cut the catchdogs loose and head in there. The dogs have a nice sized red boar caught. Our third hunter does the deed. We get the hog out, check the dogs and head over to the kennels to clean the hogs. What a fantastic hunt, no dogs hurt, had a great time and made some great new friends.

Categories: None

Post a Comment


Oops, you forgot something.


The words you entered did not match the given text. Please try again.

Already a member? Sign In